Wednesday, May 02, 2007

THE HELLBOY PROJECT: CONQUEROR WORM

In the end, I came close. I started this project with the plan to have read (or reread) the whole of Hellboy before the new mini-series, Hellboy: Darkness Calls, came out. Today the first issue arrived in comics shops. Today I also read the fifth (of six) trade, Hellboy: Conqueror Worm. It's okay since I'm going to be waiting for the trade on the new series...and that won't be out until next year I'm guessing. And it's even more okay because, as I've been saying, this is good comics.

The fifth volume contains the four issue mini-series of the same name, the first longform Hellboy story in some time. The Nazis launched a capsule into space years ago and now that capsule is returning to Earth. In the capsule is a dead man who will be the host for a being that intends to destroy the world. Hellboy has to stop it. Roger the Homonculus is along for the ride. They also meet the pulp hero, Lobster Johnson, who is...a bit odd (and violent). Oh, and Hellboy has to fight a giant monkey. That's the gist. The whole thing is the usual blend of action, horror, humor, and fantastic art.

I just have one more trade to go and then I'll be caught up. Looking forward to it!

No comments: