Sunday, April 15, 2007

CLEARING THE DECKS

There's no way I'm going to get to all the posts I've been planning, so I'll just mention a few things quickly and maybe throw a couple separate posts up (such as "The Hellboy Project"). I started out the month of April deciding I would keep track of all my pop cutlure intake - the shows I watched, the music I listened to, everything I read, etc. Well, I finally dropped that on Thursday. Yeah, it took me long enough. I think it was a way of promising myself I would post more often and then it just became a way to pretend I would start posting on all that stuff. Anyway, here are a few things worth mentioning...

I went to see both "Blades of Glory" and "Grindhouse." In both cases, I was glad I went. "Blades of Glory" is quite funny, way better than "Talladega Nights." I greatly enjoyed Will Arnett and Amy Poehler and now have an even bigger crush on Jenna Fischer. "Grindhouse" was fun and gross and stupid and silly and cool. I went into it with the right attitude, which I think is the way to go.

We've also watched a couple 2006 films on DVD - "The Departed" and "The Illusionist." I loved "The Departed" and thought Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic. "The Illusionist" was pretty darn good too, especially Paul Giamatti; I'd like the read the Steven Millhauser story it was based on (I have read only one of his story collections to date).

As for TV, "Friday Night Lights" finished up a very good first season. "Lost" has been fantastic lately. I let a few eps of "24" pile up on the DVR but now I'm all caught up and still interested. It's been great having "The Office" and "30 Rock" back. Well, and "The Sopranos" and "Entourage" too.

I almost dove back into full-time comics but now I'm definitely going back to all trades. I will buy the last 3 issues of 52, so I can finish the story, and I will also buy the five issues of the crossover between Justice League of America and Justice Society of America, because I can't resist the Legion's involvment. But that's it. The good news is I have rediscovered my love for all kinds of comics and I will most likely pick up 2 to 3 trades each month - not only the new stuff but filling in some of my gaps and things I've let fall by the wayside.

Anyone else underwhelmed by the new Bright Eyes? To be fair, I've only listened to it twice but it really isn't grabbing me. By contrast, the new Fountains of Wayne and Kings of Leon albums have grown on me with each listen. I'll cover more music in a separate eMusic post.

I read an issue each of F&SF and Asimov's, with good stories in both. And I'm now reading my ninth book of the year. That about covers it, except for the aforementioned extra posts.

No comments: