Friday, March 28, 2008

COMICS, OLD AND NEW

Sad to say I abandoned a book about comics the other day. I'd started on David Hajdu's new look at the comic book wars of the 1950s (where the industry was drastically censored and changed), The Ten-Cent Plague. I'm familiar with the story and many of the players, which may have colored my reading of the book. Or maybe reading two non-fiction books back to back wasn't the right way to go. I don't know. I'm not saying the Hajdu is bad book or that you shouldn't read it...it just wasn't for me right now.

I mentioned in my previous post that we took a trip to a cool comics shop yesterday. I try to make it to The Laughing Ogre every time I'm in Columbus - it's a big, clean store just filled with a wide variety of comics and trades. They have super-hero and non and indie and manga and magazines and all sorts of cool stuff. I could spend $100 every time I went, easily. I didn't spend that much. of course. I did pick up two trades, though - Casanova: Luxuria and JSA Presents: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. Volume One. The first is a collection of the ongoing series by Matt Fraction and Gabriel Ba; the second collects the first half of the Geoff Johns series from 9 years ago. Thus continues my trend of buying new material to me and stuff that I like but don't have in single issues anymore. I'm already about halfway through Casanova: Luxuria and will do a proper review later on.

No comments: