Wednesday, March 26, 2008

BASEBALL BEHAVIOR

Yesterday morning I got up at 5:00. Why? To watch the first baseball game of the season, the Red Sox and A's live from Japan. Yes, it's earlier than I normally get up...a lot earlier. And yes, we left on our vacation yesterday. But I can't resist the first game of the season, no matter who is playing. Now I didn't see every pitch - I had left the dishes unwashed the night before and I had to shower and make sure I had my stuff packed - but I watched as much as I could. The only downside was that when I had to leave for work (I did a short lifeguarding shift before we left town) the game was tied at 4 going into the 10th. I got up at 5 AM and couldn't see the end of the game? Ah well, it was worth it.

A short while ago I finished this year's baseball book, Is This a Great Game, or What? by Tim Kurkjian. Kurkjian has been one of my favorite baseball writers and Baseball Tonight personalities because he so obviously loves the game and has so many facts and figures in his head. His book takes a look at all the aspects of the game and is filled with story after story, many of which are hilarious. He also asks questions, such as why 3 centerfielders get voted to receive a Gold Glove and no corner outfielders. I've always wondered that myself. If you love the game, it's a great book to read. It was a great way to get me excited for another season in which anything can happen (the Cubs could win it all for the the first time in 100 years...could).

You know what? I'll be watching Sunday night's game too. I love baseball. Go White Sox!

No comments: