Saturday, March 31, 2007

THE YEAR OF 35: END

I turned 36 on Thursday, which effectively ends "The Year of 35." A year ago I set out to start doing some of the things I'd always talked about doing but never did. I started with music and my year exceeded any expectations I might have had.

I wrote 11 songs this year - I finished one on Tuesday and another on my birthday.

Not only did I improve tremendously on the guitar, I also dusted off my piano skills (I think my freshman year was the last time I had lessons and played on any regular basis), learned how to play the bass, and have also played harmonica and the tambourine.

I started playing open mics and joined a band. I've played a bunch of shows, both in our full band lineup (3 of us) and a slimmer version (without a drummer).

It's been a fantastic year. Of course, I'm not going to stop now that I'm 36. I feel like I'm still just getting started. I want to record this year and play more shows and write more songs. I also want to start writing some fiction as well.

"The Year of 35" did its trick.

No comments: