Monday, March 12, 2007

eMUSIC ROUND THIRTEEN

Year 2 of my eMusic service started off with some really good news. Erick Zeidenberg from the website saw my previous post and gifted me the 23 downloads I had accidentally lost out on. A very cool gesture and yet another reason to love eMusic. So, what did I pick up this time around? Read on...

Apples in Stereo/New Magnetic Wonder - My only exposure to the group prior to this was a track on the Powerpuff Girls soundtrack. Frankly, their type of pop is right up my alley and I feel they're another band that slipped through the cracks for me. Some really good songs on this record and some interesting musical filler.

Of Montreal/Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? - I've been hearing good things about Of Montreal for a couple years now but always resisted giving them a try. A mistake. This is dramatic pop with a dancable beat and depressing lyrics and it works together wonderfully. I will definitely be grabbing more from them.

The Mountain Goats/The Coroner's Gambit - This album completes my collection as far as eMusic goes. The earliest album I have from them, it's a bit more lo-fi but still chock full of good songs from John Darnielle. I have not exhausted my obsession in the least.

M. Ward/Transfiguration of Vincent - Here's another headscratcher...how did I wait so long to pick up this album? Much as I love the two I have, I think this is my new favorite M. Ward album on the strength of "Vincent O'Brien" and "Sad Sad Song" and "Helicopter" and his cover of Bowie's "Let's Dance." Brilliant stuff.

Explosions in the Sky/All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone - I'm in love with their theme to "Friday Night Lights" (the TV show) and thought I'd explore some of their work. This is the new album, six tracks long, and it's all instrumental, something I've always been reluctant to pick up for myself. I do enjoy the dynamics and melodicism of the album and while I may not listen to it as much as other stuff, I'm glad I picked it up.

Camera Obscura/"Hands Up Baby" and "Alaska" - Two b-sides from the If Looks Could Kill single from an album I have.

The Decemberists/Everything I Try To Do, Nothing Seems To Turn Out Right" and "Sunshine" - Two b-sides from the Billy Liar single from an album that I do not yet own.

Arcade Fire/Neon Bible - I've been waiting for this one; after The Shins, it was my most anticipated record of the early part of the year (a title which now falls to Wilco's Sky Blue Sky, which I actually got to hear over the weekend...but that's for another post). It doesn't disappoint. I plan on doing a more in-depth review of this in the near future. In short? Buy it.

No comments: