Friday, March 10, 2006

CATSUP

The previous two Thursday nights (before last night) I participated in a trivia challenge at our local Buffalo Wild Wings (it's the trivia game they have in restaurants and bars all over the country - NTN, I think). It was a fundraiser for the Y and did very well - it cost $150 for a team to play and there were over 20 teams. I played for a lawyer in town who had worked with my dad on a project and knew that my dad and a former office mate used to go and play the trivia game on their lunch hour a couple times a week. The lawyer put up the money and asked Dad and Mike (the former office mate) to be on his team; they said they needed me as well (all last year I would go play with them on Fridays - the only day I wasn't in the pool until after 1:00). On the first night, we played four games and our team managed to win 3 of them (in the first 2 we got over 13,000 points out of 15,000; many of those questions were pop culture things I just knew, such as the artist who released Tunnel of Love in 1987). On the second night we learned that only our top score from the previous week would count and would be added to our best of 2 scores from that night for our total. We didn't do as well on either round but we managed to score over 10,000 each time. In the end, that was enough for us to take first place by around 800 points. The prize? $250. I didn't take any money, though. It was fun to do and, of course, fun to win. And now some of the big bosses at the Y know I'm more than just a swimming teacher.

Grant got sick late Tuesday night with a fever and sore throat. That developed into puking as well on Wednesday as well. So, it's been an interesting last few days for me. His fever isn't getting up as high as for as long and his throat seems to be getting better as well. Doesn't look like he'll be playing basketball tomorrow, which is a shame - he's really started playing well the last few weeks. He's been sticking with the opposing player on defense and actually took a shot in a game the other week. We still have one more game (and one more practice) next week.

Jill has been busy with the musical she's directing, "Beauty and the Beast," so she hasn't been around much to relieve me this week. Oh well. This production has been a bit rockier than usual in the runup to performances but things seem to have come into shape finally. That's good because it opens tonight, followed by 2 shows tomorrow and 2 more next weekend. And then spring break is right around the corner!

This title post is in honor of my Grandma Batey, who always said "catsup" instead of "ketchup." I miss you, Grandma.

No comments: