Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ADRENALINE RUSH

That's what "24" is. I'm still trying to recover from last night's episode. Yes, character tends to be largely subsumed to the plot (but we got some emotion from Jack last night). And yes, it's a bit unbelievable that everything can happen within the given time frame. But it's a hell of a ride and I am so glad I finally gave the show a try this year. Now I have to catch up on the first 4 seasons...

In the spirit of that rush, here are some quick reviews...

* I recently read the debut novel from Dave King, The Ha-Ha. No, it's not a comedy. Instead, it's the story of a damaged Vietnam vet who can't communcate with those around him and how his life changes when he becomes the temporary guardian of a 9 year-old. Recommended.

* How great have the first 3 eps of the new season of "The Sopranos" been? I love that show.

* I still get get enough of Fort Recovery. I've also been playing The Believer, the new one from Old 97s front man Rhett Miller, a whole bunch. A great pop/rock record in the best senses of those words. And Dear Higgins, the debut from Higgins (my brother's former roomies), sounds like the 70s. In a good way.

* Jeff Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen completely lived up to all the good reviews I've been reading about it for years. Full of horror and humor and literary games and stories presented in completely new ways. There's no excuse not to go pick up the new Bantam edition.

* Grant and I have been watching "Justice League Season 1" on DVD for the past few days. It's such a good show and hits me right in my DC fanboy brain. I'm also having fun watching Grant get into the characters and wanting to pick up more action figures.

* Picked up the softcover of Top Ten: The Forty Niners last week. Great stuff from Alan Moore and Gene Ha. I'm so disappointed the ABC line has dried up and we won't get a "season 2" of Top Ten. That was my favorite of the line.

* How about that Final Four grouping? LSU/George Mason for the championship, anyone?

* The baseball season is so close...I can almost taste it!

4 comments:

TJ said...

I don't know how anybody watches 24 from week to week. I have to wait for DVD so I can binge. No patience for cliffhangers, I guess. The moment the episode ends must be maddening. Have fun with Season 1 of 24.

And my copy of Fort Recovery is still getting at least a once a day play. It's just so good.

Justin Steiner said...

Woke up this morning and my wife and son gave me my present right away - Season 1 of 24! Now I can see how it all began...

I've been trying not to play Fort Recovery too much as I don't want to burn out on it. Of course, I don't think that could happen. I'm also resisting the temptation to burn up the rest of this month's eMusic downloads on their earlier stuff. Everything in moderation...maybe.

Anonymous said...

hey, happy birthday!

Justin Steiner said...

Thanks, Tom!