Thursday, January 05, 2006

SUDOKU

I was blissfully ignorant of Sudoku. Then "TV Guide" switched to a larger format and decided to start including a puzzle in the back of every issue. I didn't know what it was but the rules were simple - a letter could only appear once every column, row, and 3x3 grid. And the fact they used the names of TV shows and such made it easy as well. I've been doing them each week ever since. Today's...today's took me 3 1/2 hours off and on. Don't know if I'm a bit tired and not at full capacity or was allowing myself to be distracted by other things or what. I do know that I couldn't do anything else (except cook dinner and chores like that) until I finished it. And now that I've finished? Time to read.

Stay away from Sudoku, my friends. Stay away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the original sudoku puzzles with numbers? I find them much more fun to do than TV Guide's letter version. Somehow it's just easier using 1 through 9 instead of having to remember which letters are allowed.

This site Fiendish Sudoku has free daily sudoku puzzles at five difficulty levels. It can give hints and step-by-step solutions, and it has several printing options.

Worth a look!

- KristinW

Justin Steiner said...

I have not tried the ones with the numbers. The TV Guide ones are easy because you know the answer to their trivia question already and that can help you solve the puzzle. I don't know if I want to go beyond that, although my wife pointed out some of her magazines have them with the numbers. Can I resist or will I fall further down the well?