Friday, July 27, 2007

GEEKERY

We went and saw The Simpsons Movie this afternoon. Grant was more excited than I was, which was very cool to see. What was even cooler to see was the movie itself. It was a lot of fun with great jokes (both verbal and visual) and the heart that always beats within the show. I have no complaints.

I also bought some comics again this week...

Justice League of America #11 is a change of pace, focusing on two heroes trapped in the rubble of a building that is sinking into the water. How Red Arrow and Vixen deal with each other and try to get out is the whole of the story. And it works. Of course, that's helped by Gene Ha's art, which is not your standard super-hero fare. I know there have been many people unhappy with Brad Meltzer's run on the title but I've enjoyed it well enough. One more issue and then we'll have a real change of pace in Dwayne McDuffie; I'm looking forward to that.

Grant Morrison goes near-apocalyptic in Batman #666 with a look at a future where Barbara Gordon is police commissioner and Damian Wayne has taken over for his father in the Batsuit. Who's he? The son of Bruce and Talia (daughter of the evil Ra's Al Ghul). Anyway, the comic is grim but it's also entertaining. The Morrison and Kubert team has been turning out good comics.

Finally, I picked up Grendel: Behold the Devil #0 (which is only 50 cents). I've been a Grendel fan since way back and this is a short teaser for a new mini-series which will fill in unknown details of the original Grendel, Hunter Rose. Even if you've never read the series, I think this issue would intrigue you enough to come back for the series when it starts in November. I don't think you can go wrong with Matt Wagner.

No comments: