Wednesday, January 30, 2008

COMICS MADE FOR ME

Over the last two days, I've been reading The Brave and the Bold Vol. 1: The Lords of Luck, which collects the first six issues of the ongoing series by Mark Waid and George Perez. I bought and read the first two issues when they came out before going back into more of a trade mode. I liked those two issues enough that I decided to buy this collection in hardcover, something I rarely do (having Barnes & Noble gift cards and a coupon helped as well). I was not disappointed.

The original Brave and the Bold series featured Batman and another hero; this new incarnation starts with Batman and Green Lantern teaming up but quickly spirals out from there, featuring Supergirl, Lobo, Blue Beetle, Adam Strange, The Legion of Super-Heroes, and more. The heroes are up against a variety of villains and weapons, including the stolen Book of Destiny (which tells you everything that has ever and will happen). It's got action and humor and character work and is drawn by George Perez, Mr. Super-Hero Comics. Seriously, I've loved Perez since the early 80s and New Teen Titans. I can't wait for the next collection!

Today I bought and read Action Comics #861, which is the fourth part of the Legion of Super-Heroes story and it's just as good as the rest have been. I hope this storyline leads to the return of that Legion. Please, DC. Please!

DC is bringing back an old favorite this summer - Ambush Bug! Yay! Read about it here.

No comments: