Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008

Happy New Year.

It's been an interesting day around here. We got about 4 or 5 inches of snow overnight so the first thing I did when I got up was go out to shovel snow. I was out for about an hour and got all of our house done, plus brushing off 3 cars (our two and our neighbor's). Jill came out when I was close to done and she used the snowblower to do our neighbor's (she had a heart attack a few weeks back, so we're helping out). I must have locked myself in pretty good because after I'd been in a for a few minutes I realized my back hurt. A lot. I spent the day trying to stretch out, using the heating pad, taking ibuprofen, and mostly being miserable. I have been able to stretch it out over the course of the day, enough that I shouldn't be too bad getting up tomorrow and a trip to the chiropractor should help to solve the rest.

It's been an annual tradition in my family that we have pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day for as long as I can remember. My dad makes the sauerkraut and it's full of bacon and carrots and alcohol (which cooks off) and tastes absolutely wonderful. So we set off this afternoon to go have dinner...only to have to turn around not even halfway down. The main road down south was awful, covered with both ice and snow, and it would only get worse the further we went. It was disappointing to have to turn around but we are promised some leftovers.

What did we do instead? We ordered a nice greasy pizza and breadsticks and ate some pan cookie for dessert. Jill and I watched The Bourne Identity, which was one of her Christmas gifts. I liked it. A lot. Can't wait to watch the next two (she got the big boxed set). Oh, we did finish out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last night (except for 2 commentaries, which I'll get to as Jill isn't interested) as well as watched Superbad (fun movie). I also started on the 2008 preview issue of Wizard and my first book of the year.

Speaking of books, I wanted to mention a few goals I have for myself in 2008...

My books goal for 2008 is 48, which averages out to 4 a month. That's achievable with the pace I've been on since August, though I do have some other things that will eat into reading time.

This is the year I am going to start writing something other than this blog and see what I can do. I've had the dream of writing for so long and I might as well get to it. If "The Year of 35" was my spur to start living the way I wanted to, why not use 2008 (which is the first year I could have run for president, as I wanted to when I was a kid) to step things up to another level? My Presidential Year maybe.

So, writing. Getting out more often to play music. Continuing to write songs and improve on the guitar and keyboard. Maybe finding some people to jam with or another band to mess around with.

I also want to get serious about getting fit. I've lost weight over the past couple months but I'm not really in shape. I would like to be. Lose some more weight but also put on some muscle, just be healthier.

As for the blog, I don't know what the year will bring. I have ideas for new features and thoughts about trying to grow this into a place where more people come. However, if I implement all the other goals I won't have as much time. So, it remains to be seen what this blog will look like. I will keep it going, even if it's only Sunday Shuffles and the occasional post. So check in with me in 2008 and let me know what's going on with you. I'm looking forward to a good year.

No comments: