Wednesday, December 27, 2006

MUSIC 2006

This past year saw me drastically change how I purchased and listened to music. Sure, I still bought a lot of CDs and spent time listening to them in the car, on the stereo, and in my headphones. I also spent just as much time listening on the computer and purchased many albums in download form through eMusic. As a result, I picked up over 100 albums in 2006 (and have gotten 5 more in the last few days thanks to Christmas gifts)...that has to be the most music I've ever absorbed in a year. Really, I'm still absorbing much of that music, both 2006 releases as well as albums from years past. This list reflects what I've been listening to and enjoying the most in a year where I've found plenty to enjoy by artists new to me and old favorites; in a couple months I may have a different opinion (my 2005 list would look very different today) but that's the nature of the beast. Anyway, here are my top ten albums of 2006...

1. M. Ward/Post-War
2. The Mountain Goats/Get Lonely
3. The Hold Steady/Boys and Girls in America
4. The Long Winters/Putting the Days to Bed
5. Pernice Brothers/Live a Little
6. Silversun Pickups/Carnavas
7. Bishop Allen/a virtual album comprised of highlights from 9 EPs
8. The Decemberists/The Crane Wife
9. The Essex Green/Cannibal Sea
10. Centro-Matic/Fort Recovery

4 comments:

TJ said...

Hmm. I see two artists here I need to get to know (Bishop Allen and Pernice Bros). Good list. I just didn't give the Goats or Ward as much play this year. But they are great albums, indeed.

Justin Steiner said...

I think you'd like both bands, Trevor.

TJ said...

Loving the Pernice Bros album. A must for any fan of Falkner, Finn, or Penn.

Justin Steiner said...

And you're not even listening to the best Pernice album yet, Trevor...