Sunday, July 30, 2006

TV NIGHT

Ah, summer TV. If it weren't for HBO and baseball, I'd have it on only to catch the news here and there. Tonight, of course, I watched the only two shows I'm currently keeping track of - "Deadwood" and "Entourage."

How great has Gerald McRaney been on "Deadwood" this season? His George Hearst is menacing and idiosyncratic and polite and intelligent and more. Ian McShane has rightfully had award nominations and critical praise but next year's Emmys had better have McRaney up for an award or else. Well, I'll just shake my head one more time at the injustice of it all, I guess. Anyway, tonight's episode was great as usual. Death and schemes and comedy and the introduction of Wyatt and Morgan Earp, plus a powerful ending. Can't wait for next week.

"Entourage" is no slouch either. Tonight dealt with Ari's attempts to create a big new agency; Vincent's continual willingness to stand up for his principles against his better (monetary) interests; and Drama's big audition with Ed Burns. Good stuff. And next week? Vegas.

I was also shocked to see that we can watch the first episode of the new season of "The Wire" almost a week before it premieres via HBO On Demand. How cool is that? The question is, do I watch it that early and have to wait almost two weeks for another episode? Or do I watch in On Demand and then again when it airs? That show is always worth multiple viewings, as I mentioned a few days back.

Speaking of On Demand, I plan on checking out BBC America's "Life on Mars" at some point this week. I've heard good things.

Oh, and tonight is post #100 of this blog. Wonder if I can do the next 100 before the end of the year...

6 comments:

carol o said...

I've been following Entourage all summer, though I haven't caught the latest episode yet. Is it just me or has the series really hit its stride this season? I remember being underwhelmed the episodes I caught the last couple years, but they seem to have hit a nice groove here.

Justin Steiner said...

I don't know, Carol, I've always liked the show. I wasn't expecting much when I watched the debut a few years ago and was really surprised by how much I liked it. I am enjoying the developing partnership between E and Vincent, especially with Vinnie standing up for his principles.

Anonymous said...

I think Entourage has gone up just a bit in the level - I think it's the b and c storylines in each episode being completely worthy and not just background noise as it sometimes slipped to in the first two seasons.

And Justin, couldn't agree more about Gerald McRaney - an incredible addition to an already ridiculously good show.

And as for The Wire - THE BEST show on television? You could On Demand that first episode and watch it four or five times before week two and still not capture everything the writers and actors are giving you. I'm watching last season again every Sunday before Deadwood and have already seen each episode 2 or 3 times before. I just hate the fact that HBO charges over $90 per season which has kept me from going back and buying seasons 1-3.

If there's a show that I believe took everything that Homicide: Life on the Streets did and maybe even elevated it, it's The Wire. For me, that's a HUGE statement.

I think what David Simon has done with HLOTS, The Corner and The Wire has been nothing short of genius.

Dan Wickett
EWN

Justin Steiner said...

The news about "The Wire" gets better as far as On Demand goes, Dan - every episode will be available the Monday before it airs on HBO proper.

I've been fortunate on the DVDs, since my cousin was able to get them cheap for working on the show. Haven't talked to him in a while and don't know if I'm out of luck on Season 3.

And man, I need to get Homicide on DVD one of these days. That was my favorite show for several years back then...

TJ said...

Just want to go on record as a major fan of The Wire. Best Underrated Show on Television. I've only seen Seasons 1 and 2, and am excited that 3's out on divvid. The show redefines "gritty."

Justin Steiner said...

The record will reflect your love for The Wire, TJ. I found out from my cousin that he did order a DVD for me, so I'm saved for Season 3. Yay me!