Sunday, April 06, 2008

THE HOOK

Earlier this week I was feeling a bit burned out on comics. It happens from time to time. I love comics but sometimes the sheer amount of stuff I want to read and/or buy overwhelms me, not only for monetary concerns but for space around the house as well. It's just one of those moods and it may well have colored my thoughts on JSA Presents: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. Vol. 1 a bit. I felt like I could take or leave comics for a while...then I read about the trailer at the end of Action Comics # 863 and I was hooked all over again.

I had planned on picking up Action Comics #863, of course, with it being the final issue of the "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" storyline that I've been greatly enjoying. It didn't disappoint either as Superman gets his powers back and Yera reluctantly kisses Sun Boy and the full Legion is present for the victory and the uplifting end. It was great story and not only for bringing back the Legion I fell in love with, though that certainly helped. Of course, it makes me want to read the continuing adventures of my Legion (well, even better if I could write it) - and that's where the trailer comes in.

Geoff Johns first used a trailer at the end of Justice Society of America #1, which helped cement a great first issue by giving glimpses of what was coming up in the book. The trailer at the end of Action Comics #863 gives us a glimpse at an upcoming mini-series by Johns and George Perez (!) - Final Crisis: Legion of the Three Worlds. Ohhhh yeah. Superman. Superboy-Prime. The Legion I grew up with as well as the Legions of the two reboots (it's cool seeing XS in the ad). The Time Trapper. Universo. Mordru. And Lex Luthor? It begins it August and I already can't wait. Thanks for jolting me back into my love of comics, Johns. Well played.

No comments: