Tuesday, October 30, 2007

AIMLESS

I just finished reading I Just Want My Pants Back, a debut novel from David J. Rosen. It tells the tale of Jason Strider, an Ivy League grad who is just getting through life. He goes out and gets drunk, smokes pot, falls into bed with hot women from time to time, and just drifts through life. The title comes from a girl he sees twice and who leaves with his pants, never to communicate with her again. There's not a whole lot of character arc; at the end, we get a glimpse that he might finally be getting his shit together (the last scene doesn't do much for me in that regard, though it does make sense in the context of the events of the book). It's not that funny or particularly insightful but I did enjoy some of the music references. I guess it didn't really cohere for me. Ah well, you can't win them all.

No comments: