Monday, May 22, 2006

eMUSIC ROUND FOUR

Last time I waited a few weeks before using up my downloads. This time? Done in just days...

Grandaddy/Just Like the Fambly Cat - It took about a week for this one to turn up but I knew it would, since the rest of their albums are available. It's good and it's their last one.

Twilight Singers/Powder Burns - I've liked Greg Dulli for years but have never gotten around to picking up anything from this band or The Afghan Whigs. The new one is great rock music - I like a band that tends toward the dramatic, as long as it's held it check. This delivers.

Archers of Loaf/Icky Mettle - Long been interested in this and now I've heard it. This was Eric Bachmann's band before Crooked Fingers and was more rock-oriented. I've only listened once but I liked it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Archers kick arse. I highly recommend All the Nation's Airports.

TJ said...

And I recommend White Trash Heroes. But Icky Mettle roolz too. I love "Wrong."

If you want more Bachmann genius, he put together an instrumental group called Barry Black that released a couple albums between Archers' demise and the Fingers' birth. Check out "Ten Animal Stories." The man is simply a genius at whatever form he tries his hand.

I've got the new Granddaddy "saved for later" as soon as I get refreshed on Friday. I have a feeling I'll be burning through mine this month, too.

Anonymous said...

I got the new Grandaddy. I wasn't blown away by it. Slump is where it's at for me with them.

Justin Steiner said...

So you guys are telling me I got the wrong Archers album? I'm sure I'll get around to all of them. I'll have to look into that Barry Black stuff, Trevor. Did you guys see that Bachmann is releasing a solo album in August?

I'm not blown away by the new Grandaddy either, Theron, but I do like it. I can't stop listening to "Elevate Myself."