Monday, November 28, 2005

UNFUN

This year was not my best Thanksgiving experience, I'm sorry to say. It started with snowy and icy weather when we left, which caused delays and slow speeds at times. The worst part of the weather came in western Pennsylvania - the roads had just started getting bad when a Jeep-type vehicle in front of me drifted to the left and skidded on the ice. He went into the embankment (we were in the left lane at the time and westbound 80 was above us at that point) and flipped over the hill a couple times. Right in front of me. It was very scary and we pulled over as soon as we could. Jill called 911 on her cel and I walked back to see what was going on. Luckily, the guy was okay and just had a few aches and pains. I waited with him until a state tropper arrived and then we went back on our way, though at about 35 to 40 MPH for many miles after that.

Thanksgiving itself was fine. It was odd not to have either of my grandmothers around but we got through it. Big dinner and cards and homemade ice cream and pie and so on and so forth as usual.

Friday started out normally as well, with most of the group going to Woolrich (I am one of the few who stays at the hotel...managed to finish Scott Pilgrim too (more on that in the near future)). The guys went to lunch at the Bridge Tavern, where I had a cheesesteak, and then I went up to Percy's to play cards with my dad, my cousin Heath, and his brother-in-law (and an honorary cousin) Brian. It was a nice time except I started feeling worse and worse. Once my wife arrived, I had her take over for me and went back down to the hotel. Long story short (and you really don't want the details) - I got very ill. Very very ill. And that was pretty much the end of my weekend. Saturday I spent trying to feel better and I did start feeling closer to normal by Saturday night's surprise 60th birthday party for my Aunt Merry.

The whole experience was very unpleasant and one that I do not wish to repeat. I felt well enough to make the drive home (my mom was along with us, as my dad had to stay in Williamsport to take care of things with his mother's estate today) but any joy at being home was undercut but Grant getting sick around 10:30 last night. I was up with him until about 2:30 in the morning and had to miss work today, while he missed school. It was not a fun way to end a weekend that already wasn't much fun.

Of course, I did enjoy the time I spent with my family when I was feeling well. And I'm thankful that I can spend that time with them. I just wish I'd been able to have a whole lot more fun.

2 comments:

TJ said...

Yowch. Glad your travels were safe, but I'm sorry it was such a rough holiday. Next year's can only be better, right?

Justin Steiner said...

One would hope. Past experience would suggest that it will. I may change what I eat, though, even if it appears to have had nothing to do with food consumption.