Wednesday, November 30, 2005

HOT STOVE HEAT

My 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox have already been busy this off-season (though not quite as busy as the Mets maybe). Last week's trade with the Phillies that sent Aaron Rowand to Philly for Jim Thome left me a bit skeptical. Now, if Thome is healthy and can back to his usual production, then he is a great pickup (plus, he's a lefty). On the other hand, if he's the .208 hitting Jim Thome... The other problem is that I don't want to see Rowand go. He has been one of my favorite Sox these last few years - he always plays hard, is one of the best centerfielders in the game, and can get the clutch hits. I really hate to see him go.

Now today...today brings some great news. Paul Konerko signed a new contract with the Sox today, 5 years at 60 million. He's been my favorite Sox player over the past couple of years, even when he's gone through his slumps. He knows how to hit and he can hit for power. Plus, he plays a better first base than he generally gets credit for. And if we get the good Thome...what a combo that will be. Yup, this news makes me very happy.

Sickness update: Grant got through school just fine yesterday and today. I survived two days back in the water without any problems and with kids happy to see me. However, Jill came home early from school yesterday and had the same problems as Grant and me. The bug batted 3 for 3, damn it.

Site update: Lots of things I want to talk about and I hope to start getting two posts a day up tomorrow. We'll see. Upcoming subjects include Scott Pilgrim, Jeffrey Ford, live CDs and DVDs, the Jan. 2006 issue of Asimov's, my new TV love, lots of talk about DC Comics icons, and more.

Music update: Grooving to The Hold Steady's Separation Sunday. Again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin, you're back! Congrats on the White Sox, and that Hold Steady album is very, very good.

Justin Steiner said...

Thanks, Jeff. I've been stopping by your blog almost daily, just haven't posted a comment in a while. I'll link you here as soon as I decide to actual change to code.