Wednesday, February 15, 2006

SHOOFLYPIE RADIO

I'm going to be a DJ. In a couple of weeks, I will be starting my very own show on our local Valparaiso radio station, WVLP. It's a low power station and only reaches about 5 miles out from the center of town but I will rock those 5 miles! I'll be playing a mix of music, basically the stuff I talk about here...your indie rock and power pop and alt. country and Springsteen and so on and so forth. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to be able to have my own show where I could program it myself (I went to Columbia College in 1993 to work on becoming a DJ and quickly stopped when I realized the jobs where you wouldn't be force fed a playlist were few and far between and highly coveted) and I'm very excited about it.

I went on a gift card shopping spree this evening, hitting both Barnes & Noble and Best Buy. I used up my cards for the former and managed to leave about $17 on the latter. The haul? 1 book (Kevin Brockmeier's new novel, The Brief History of the Dead); 1 CD (The National's Alligator, recommended by LTR); and 1 DVD (the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Veronica Mars got me in the mood for my favorite show about a spunky blond uncovering secrets amidst the hell of high school). I'm excited about all of that too.

6 comments:

TJ said...

Seconds on the congrats. The radio DJ was also a little dream of mine. What luck! You know what's next right? I don't know if you've heard of these things called Podcasts, but apparently they're big in Belgium.

And big ups on Alligator. It's one of those "why wasn't I listening to this last year" records. If you really dig that, track down the Cherry Tree EP.

Justin Steiner said...

It's a non-profit radio station in deep debt so I doubt any online streaming or podcasts are coming anytime soon. Alas.

Trevor, I had no idea they had an EP out.

LTR, when are you and Carol going? I would be interested if it works in my schedule...

TJ said...

Well, if no podcasts, I'll settle for setlists before/after your shows . . .

Cherry Tree EP is a nice companion to Alligator. When I get back to home base, I'll email you the title track.

carol o said...

Justin: Friday, March 24. The ticket's $12, but it's almost twice that with the Ticketmaster fees unfortunately. There's a link via The National's site.

Anonymous said...

wow.
are you going to record the show? will Michael Essany be involved at all?

do you need to borrow my Terrence Trent D'Arby cd's?

Justin Steiner said...

Trevor, I do plan on running my setlist after every show. Then everyone can play it and imagine my silky smooth voice introducing the tunes.

Carol, I am seriously thinking about joining you and LTR. I'll let you know.

Tom, I won't be taping it. No Michael Essany or TTD discs either. I just love disappointing you. :)