Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I HEART...

Joss Whedon - Well, I always heart him but lately it's for the one/two punch of Serenity and the visual companion. I got both for Christmas and read the book, which contains the script and background info, right before watching the movie on DVD (Jill and I saw it in the theater when it came out). It's a really good movie and if it's the last we ever get of the "Firefly" universe...I'm happy.

TV shows on DVD - My son and I finally finished The Simpsons Season 7. I realized that I didn't see a number of those eps when they originally aired because I saw bits that were cut out in syndication. They were cooking that year with the appearance of Homer's mom, a spring break road trip by Bart and his friends, the very cool look at all the characters in "22 Short Films About Springfield," and so much more. Then I spent the past week watching Veronica Mars Season 1 as fast as I possibly could. It's easily one of the best shows on TV, with that perfect mix of humor and drama with interesting stories intercut with emotional stories all wrapped up in an overarching secret murder investigation. I cried a couple times watching the last episode. Now I can't wait until they start rerunning season 2 eps (or the DVD comes out).

New music (or new to me) - I mentioned the Jenny Lewis (with the Watson Twins) album in passing but I'd like to reiterate how good it is. She's got that great voice and the album frames it very well with a country feel. Got around to getting The Long Winters EP, Ultimatum, from last year. Good stuff, especially the title tracks. The new Minus Five is solid, as is The Go-Betweens live DVD/CD.

Books - The new Max Barry novel, Company, is pretty good. It's another satire of the business world from him but it takes things to an exteme level and the character work is stronger than in his previous novel (Jennifer Government).

3 comments:

carol o said...

Justin: I'm glad you liked the Barry book. It's on my to-read list as well, and I think I'll bump it up. I liked Jennifer Government, but would happily accept stronger character work in Barry's writing.

LTR: I think the Whedon comment was made somewhere else first, and then showed up in an EW article. Which is, of course, where I read it.

TJ said...

Serenity. So bittersweet. I'm a leaf on the wind.

Double true on that Long Winters EP. Any word when we can expect a full-length?

Justin Steiner said...

LTR - So who do you think showed up at Veronica's door at the end of the season? Anyone who knows, please don't spoil it for us!

And no bar codes in Company! So there. :)

Carol - The character work isn't exponentially stronger but they are much more people than ciphers. For the most part. But it's a idea novel too.

And yes, that Whedon comment was in EW. He actually appeared on the show earlier this season.

Trevor - I heart Wash too. And I think the new Long Winters is coming out late spring.