Saturday, February 25, 2006

MUSICAL PREVIEWS

Today is a virtual record release party for Rhett Miller's new solo album, The Believer. You can head over to his MySpace site to check it out. It comes out this Tuesday.

I found out from my brother that the band he used to live with - Higgins - saw their album, Dear Higgins, released this past Tuesday. I still haven't been able to find it for purchase anywhere online but you can go here for a couple of tracks. Much of this was recorded while my brother was around and I met the guys a couple years ago. Good guys and good music.

Earlier this week I read about a new album from Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. The whole album is covers from the 60s and they have a couple of them up for a listen.

I will finally be purchasing my first Centro-Matic album on Mar. 7, when their Fort Recovery comes out. You can click over to Misra's website and find the stream for the whole album to find out why Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers loves the band.

And while you're wandering all over the net for new music, head on over to Merge to stream Destroyer's Rubies, which came out this week. I didn't get a chance to pick it up but after listening to it I think I'll have to in the near future.

4 comments:

TJ said...

That Centro disc is going to be in heavy rotation for a long time, I think. They're definitely one of those "why hadn't I heard of this band sooner?" bands. I'm still working on the name for that category.

Justin Steiner said...

I have them in that category too. Maybe we should call it "Duh!"

TJ said...

I think that does the job perfectly. Though, two dudes with their ears as close to the ground as us can't beat themselves up too badly. My question is partially from surprise that this much talent has stayed so far under the radar.

Justin Steiner said...

And really, part of the joy of being an aging musical hipster is discovering new bands that you love, regardless of whether you were late on learning about them or not.