Sunday, December 04, 2005

CAR CDS

I don't listen to the radio in my car anymore. The radio station I used to listen to, WXRT, is nothing close to what it used to be. The other Chicago FM stations are terrible. I occasionally put on ESPN Radio but I'm not one to listen to lots of sports talk. I like to listen to music when I'm driving, even if it's just to the grocery store. That means I listen to CDs in my car and I can get through several a week just driving to and from work and around town on errands. So, I thought I'd insitute a semi-regular Sunday feature where I talk about the CDs I listened to in the past week...

1. I Heart Huckabees - The soundtrack to the movie done solely by Jon Brion. It has a mixture of instrumental and vocal tracks. I bought it for the new Brion songs and two are fantasitc - "Knock Yourself Out" and "Revolving Door." The others are good, of course, but I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the other music. The expansion of the musical themes on subsequent tracks is very appealing. I don't listen to this all the time but it works as a whole album.

2. Guero - Yup, the latest Beck album. I like it but I haven't fallen in love with it like I did Sea Change. And I haven't learned to lyrics like I did with Mutations and Odelay. It is fun to sing along with the parts I do know of songs like "Hell Yes" and "Go It Alone" and "Broken Drum." His music works pretty well with just driving too. A good album but it won't come close to my top ten for the year.

3. The Man Who - I hadn't listened to this Travis album in a long time. Definitely more than a year. It still sounds pretty good - melodic sense never goes out of style. "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" is one of those classic sad songs. They pick on Oasis on a few songs too - "What's a wonderwall anyway?" A good album but not something I'll start playing more often. One or two listens a year is probably good.

3 comments:

TJ said...

Agreed on the Guero. If it were Beck's first album, everyone would have been all over that album like he'd named himself after some Long Island graffitti. But it's not Hand Clapping, it's Guero, and no one should ever have to make an album that follows the kind of album that Sea Changes is. Beck at his best is a tough act to follow.

In time, I may come back to Guero, but I shelved it pretty quickly. All that being said, "Black Tambourine" is still really groovy.

Justin Steiner said...

Sea Change is glorious. It was up there with Yoshimi and A Rush of Blood to the Head that year.

And appropos of nothing, I'm listening to OK GO at the moment. Ever heard them?

Justin Steiner said...

Oh, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Duh.