Tuesday, June 09, 2009

FINITELY INFINITE

I have committed to a summer project - along with a couple thousand other people, I am going to be reading David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. The reading group is called Infinite Summer and the goal is to read the book over the course of the summer, June 21 to Sept. 22. The book is over 1000 pages long with a ridiculous amount of endnotes, so you need to average about 75 pages a week. That's doable.

When I was younger, it was a badge of honor to read books that were 500 pages or more; I would even reject books that were under 300 pages as not being worth my time. Obviously, I don't feel that way anymore but I still do like the challenge of a big book. Plus, I've been interested in reading Infinite Jest for years and this is a good way to finally do it.

I'm not a reader who usually reads multiple books at the same time, so this will be an interesting experiment in that regard as well. I plan on posting about what I read each week and will try to keep up with the discussion over at the website. I finally start taking an English class this fall, so this will be a good kickstart for that as well.

If anyone else is going to do it, let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we ALL will be judged when we perish;
doesnt matter if you're atheist: I'm a NDEr as have millions of others. Follow us Upstairs, bro:

Wanna VitSee again??
-sez the carnival barker.
☆ AbstractVocabulary.blogspot.com ☆
God blessa youse
(skuze d'New Joisey aXent).
Dominus Vobiscum.