Tuesday, August 07, 2007

DOUBLE DIGITS

On Sunday Grant turned 10, leaving the single digit life behind for good. I think he had a pretty good day of opening presents and watching DVDs and playing computer games. My aunt was in town and we went with she and my parents out to our favorite local Italian restaurant, Pesto's. We got him registered for school this morning; he will be starting 4th grade in a couple weeks. It's weird to think we're already at this point in his life but it doesn't make me feel old at all. I like the kid he is and it's nice that he's pretty independent and I don't always have to make breakfast anymore and stuff like that. He also hit the age of 10 at 5 feet 4 1/4 inches tall. Yeah, he's a big kid. Obviously, he's been through a lot of changes in his first ten years...I'm looking forward to the changes that will come in the next ten.

I didn't bring my guitar on our short vacation last week and I don't regret that decision. Wednesday night, a couple hours after we got back, I picked up the guitar and a song came pouring out. I think it came from me thinking about Grant's birthday and the changes in my life. It's my most straightforward and personal song but I think it works pretty well. It's called "Bitter Pill."

And speaking of double digits, the weather has been in the high double digits for the past week or so, along with pretty hefty humidity. The dogs days of summer indeed. This is the part of the year where hopping in the pool and teaching for 3 to 4 hours is not a bad thing at all.

No comments: