Saturday, May 31, 2008

EIGHT

One major reason for my lack of posts the last few weeks is that I've been reading. Now, it's not unusual that I've been reading in the least. I love to do it and most days, I'd rather do it than write about doing it. But as I logged in the book I finished a short while ago, I realized just how much I've been reading - I've read 8 books since April 20. That's 8 books in 42 days. And those 8 books have brought my total on the year to 23, well ahead of pace for my goal of 48. In fact, I could only read 1 book in June and still be on pace. Naturally, I won't do that. I have 2 books checked out from the library and another 7 on reserve. It also looks like I'll be working more than I thought I would be during the first summer session too but I'll still have time to read.

Anyway, I thought I'd tell you what I've been reading...

The View from the Seventh Layer by Kevin Brockmeier - Highly recommended!
Dangerous Laughter by Steven Millhauser - Good short story collection
So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger - Highly recommended!
Devil's Cape by Rob Rogers - Solid super-hero fiction
The Martian General's Daughter by Theodore Judson - Solid SF and another winner from Pyr
Wit's End by Karen Joy Fowler - It was decent but I almost stopped reading
The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon - Depressing and good
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith - A thriller set in Stalinist Russia that kept me turning pages

No comments: